Thursday 12 July 2012

Carfree, or Carless ?

Since I arrived in Gaborone, folks have been advising me to get a used car.  Many expats do, as they are fairly easy to sell at close to purchase price, making it an affordable way to get around.  Due to the dry desert climate, cars don't easily corrode, and consequently don't depreciate in value very quickly. 

Gaborone is fairly spread out, so it can take some planning to get from point A to B without a car.  There is a transit system of sorts, but it's not really reliable and takes a bit of figuring out.

However, when I lived on the other side of the tracks and witnessed the rush hour bottlenecks on the bridges crossing the tracks, I balked at the idea of owning a car.  Who needs that headache ?

I came to learn and embrace my daily transit routine.  It got me out and moving and put me in touch with local people I would not normally meet in the cocoon of a car. This has led to some interesting encounters (see Taxi Talk posts).  It has also made me a bit vulnerable (I was pick-pocketed once). 

When I recently had a chance to go in on a car purchase with my house-mate, I decided I would continue with my carfree existence. 

I have come to value my morning walk to work.  It is really the only exercise I get.  If I had a car, it would be far too tempting to drive to work every day.

For the odd time I have an arm load of groceries, I don't mind paying for a taxi ride home.

I have to admit, though, not having a car does make it a challenge to explore on weekends, and there have been times I have regretted my decision.  I don't explore very much during evenings, either. But, truth be told, I enjoy my quiet evenings at home to cook dinner, check e-mails, read, etc.  It's nice to not feel like I should be rushing around, just because I can.

So for now, I will continue to be carfree and carefree -- or carless and careless ?

Those who have advised me to get a car also argue it's a good move for security reasons.  Just yesterday, a new friend of mine was mugged on her morning walk to work.  Is it just the luck of the draw that that hasn't happened to me yet ? 

Cross your fingers that I continue to be safe in my carfree life here.

3 comments:

  1. I think you are making a good choice Stephanie. If there is an opportunity to do a car share where you could use a car 1 or 2 weekends or evenings per month would allow you to have the best of both worlds. The risks of walking and taking the bus are all part of living there and by coping with it I think you become a confident resident and the locals recognize you as one of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I exchanged a borrowed car for a borrowed bicycle this summer. Not driving in the north is akin to throwing a bag of kittens in the river. Few understand, but many look off and say, "That's a good idea..." then jump in their huge pickups to visit their friends down the street. It's insanely frustrating. Dodging in-town log-laden trucks, confused motorists and the odd pedestrian that smiles with glee as I burn past them on an uphill, it's a small gesture of thanks to my nature office, that like many small gestures, goes unnoticed. My compliments to you for taking advantage of all the joys and lighter pockets of taking to your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is something to be said for that lifestyle. One year when I did not drive (in Canada) I was certainly more careful about not packing too many things into my schedule, not rushing from appointment to appointment - and just taking my time. It works!

    ReplyDelete